The chronicles of one girl's journey for love, education, and life down under.







Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mexican's in Australia?

I’m not going to lie, when Adam told me we were going to a Mexican food restaurant for his friend Howzy’s birthday I got a little nervous. After eating the most disgusting Mexican food I have ever had in my life while visiting my grandma in Atlantic, IA., I made a vow to never eat Mexican food unless it was found in Mexico or a border state. (i.e. Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California)

We went to Poco Cantina located in “the spot” in Randwick. The Spot has pretty much every type of food you could imagine and want. It is pretty awesome. When I walked into Pocos I was hit in the face with that delicious Mexican smell, the smell of fresh chips made in the back. This excited me; maybe there were REAL Mexicans in the back making authentic Mexican food.

The décor looked legit for a Mexican food place. The wall colors had a nice red and white color with brick arches. They had those flag things strung along the ceiling. There was even a map of Mexico on one of the walls. Not too bad of a job.

After we sat down the waiter took our drink orders and I ordered a strawberry margarita. Supposedly they had regular margaritas, but I didn’t notice until after I had ordered; also the regular margaritas were in a small martini glass and looked more like a not good Mexican martini. Disappointing. My strawberry margarita came and was actually pretty delicious. I enjoyed it enough to have two!

The menus were handwritten and were pretty funny. They had everything on there from buffalo wings to Mexibread? to chimichangas. They menu also had a glossary on the inside explaining what a chimichanga was. The glossary also told me what burritos, tostadas, and what enchiladas were. Thank you for being so helpful menu. Obviously, I’m being mean because I have grown up with these items and know what they are. Clearly people who haven’t grown up with them wouldn’t know and need the glossary. I still found it funny enough to mention.

After waiting over an hour our food came. I ordered two beef enchiladas, which came with rice and beans. It cost about $19. It turned out to be not too bad. I have to mention that I was starving at this point and anything would have tasted good to me, so keep that in mind. The only thing that was off about these enchiladas was the sauce on top. Everyone knows the sauce I’m talking about. Now imagine enchiladas with a marinara sauce and cheese. This is what I ate. It wasn’t horrible but it was weird. I felt like I was eating some sort of enchilada/beef parmesan/pizza thing. Weird, but like I said I was starving and ate the whole thing. The rice and beans were normal and don’t need any mention.

Overall it was a good experience and I would maybe go back there again. Next time I would get the fajitas to see there take on them. I never did see and real live Mexican, but maybe I just wasn’t looking hard enough.


Mexibread, whatever that is....

Notice the red marinara sauce

1 comment:

  1. Have you forgotten our mexican food experience in sicily? I would venture that it was worse than whatever you had in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete