The chronicles of one girl's journey for love, education, and life down under.







Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Roommates

I cannot remember if I have ever talked about our roommates, Lizzy and Henry. I'm sure I have mentioned them once or twice before but never spoke much about them.  Lizzy is from Indonesia and works across the street at the Indonesian consulate. Henry is from China and is also in school at UNSW.  Both of them are very nice, and probably the best roommates one could ask for.  Everyone pretty much keeps to themselves and I really don't see them too often. In fact it is so rare that I see Lizzy that I am convinced she doesn't even really live here.

My one complaint about roommates is that they always seem to be the bathroom when you need to go.  At least our toilet and shower are separate so if someone is in the shower another can go to the bathroom. But for whatever reason it seems like any time I really have to go, Henry is in there leaving me dancing outside the door and trying not to think about it. In fact, the inspiration for this post came from this exact dilemma I already faced once this morning.  The shower doesn't seem to be a problem because we are all getting up and getting ready at different times. It has happened only a few times where wanted to take a shower and it was occupied, but it is rare. 

The difference in food and cooking is another interesting aspect of our roommates. Neither Henry or Lizzy eat pork so Adam and I have to be careful about how we prepare a dish using that ingredient and to remember not to serve it to them (not that we all sit and eat together anyway, but in the casual offering of food sort of way). It is amazing how vastly different our dishes are to there's.  Adam and I have similar tastes and makes stuff that we would make in the States i.e. steaks, chicken, with veggies, etc. Henry makes mostly noodles or some type of rice dish. Although, Henry has some dish that requires him to toast pepper seeds or something in the skillet before he adds everything else. I personally hate it when he makes this dish because I'm cannot breath the air in the apartment without going into a fit of coughing. I'm pretty sure I'm breathing in toxic air when he makes that crazy dish. Lizzy makes stuff that smells really good, but I have no idea what it is. It usually entails a lot of egg.

In keeping with the topic of food, Henry has recently found it really funny to have me try some of the things he thinks are delicious and uses in his cooking. The other week he had me try tofu that had been marinated in blue cheese. Now, I like tofu and I like blue cheese however I did not like this stuff. My first warning should have been the smell. This stuff smelled absolutely terrible. I tasted it and immediately seized up in disgust. Henry just stood there laughing because he knew I wouldn't like it. So mean! There was something else he had be try the another day, but I cannot remember what it is. All I know is that from now on if Henry asks me to try something I know to say NO!   

All in all, Lizzy and Henry are great roommates and I enjoy living with them; except when I have to use the bathroom and it's occupied and when Henry is making his toxic air dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment